VAT Change of Address Details - VAT 484 Form

It is mandatory to notify HMRC of any changes in the VAT registered business. It can be inclusive of a change of address for VAT, trading details or altogether a cancellation of a VAT registration.

But for changing the details there are some common VAT changes which need to be brought to the notice of the authorities. To start with these could include the bank details and the business contact information.

Several changes to a VAT-registered business can be made but then keeping the registration details up to date responsibility in the legal way.

Procedure to Change Address

It is essential to keep the VAT registration details up to date. In case of a change, the details can be updated in 2 ways:

  • By online way - This can be done through an online VAT account
  • By Post - Using form VAT484

VAT484 form should be sent to the VAT Registration Service to report any changes.

Once done a change should be communicated to the HMRC within 30 days or the prospect of facing a financial penalty could become a reality.

  • The details to be updated in this regards are the name, trading name or main address.
  • Details of the accountant or agent who deals with the VAT.
  • In case of a partnership, the members in a partnership, the name or home address of any of the partners.

VAT Change of Address Online:

VAT details such as address can be updated taking the online route by using your Government Gateway VAT account.

A secure online account for using government services can be leveraged via the online. GOV.UK and in this regards the Government Gateway is very useful.

GOV.UK VERIFY has replaced the Government Gateway as the new verification process.

This is the best way to prove your online identity for a range of government services. Further, the new ID verification process is a whole lot safer, simpler and faster to use.

The GOV.UK Verify gives access to a whole range of popular services by the government.

VAT Change of Address & Details Update Using VAT 484 Form:

VAT details can also be updated by posting the Government Form VAT484 (This should be used to change the VAT address).

VAT Change of Address - VAT 484 Form

Even with HMRC having multiple departments it becomes a little bit difficult and challenging to update records. It means every taxation department needs to be separately informed while the options may end up varying for every department.

Say for instance, the form VAT 484 could be the easiest way of notifying HMRC about the change of address. Once records get updated with the department an individual would end up receiving a new VAT certificate. Once the records have been updated a new VAT certificate would be received.

The HMRC released the VAT Form 484 to allow businesses who are registered for VAT to notify HMRC of changes required. Those who are also filing up the VAT 484 form can use the same to notify HMRC of any the following changes. These changes can be:

  • Changes in the business contact details
  • Changes in business bank details
  • Changes to any VAT Return end dates
  • Transfer of a business to a new owner

In situations where there is a change of partnership in a company, the Government Form VAT2 should be filled and posted. Some changes mean you will need to cancel VAT registration altogether.

The cancellation of a VAT registration again must be completed within 30 days of the events happening. Events where a company must de-register for VAT could be:

  • A company ceases to trade or create any taxable supplies
  • A VAT group has been joined

Here the case being, just as one can register for VAT, one can also voluntarily deregister for VAT so long as the turnover falls below the de-registration threshold of £79,000.

After all the relevant forms have been filed with HMRC from here on it usually takes up to 3 weeks before HMRC ends up confirming the application for de-registration is successful and yet at the same time advising of the official de-registration date.

Deregistering for VAT

In case if a registration need to be cancelled. It can be easily done online, which is both quicker and easier. This can be done by loggingon to the HMRC website with the business logon.

Once logged in go to the ‘Services you can use’ page. Once there ‘Change registration details’ and then one can easily ‘Activate or access online services.’

Once inside ‘Request VAT Deregistration’. Here the website will offer a list of the most common reasons for cancelling a VAT registration.

A reason can be chosen and one can answer the questions which follow. In case the reason for deregistering isn’t listeda request must be written to HMRC explaining your scenario.

One needs to know, deregistration can be delayed by any length of time up to 3 months and HMRC would automatically go ahead and display the earliest date by which deregistration can be done.

In case of rapid deregistration applying on last day of the month can result in HMRC proposing first day of the following month, i.e. the next day for getting the deregistration done.

Otherwise, it could well take up to a week or more before the verdict is posted in customer communications category.

Speak with an expert

Any questions? Schedule a call with one of our experts.

About the author
Blog Author

Sumit Agarwal
Sumit Agarwal (ACMA ACA India), the Managing partner of dns accountants is a highly respected accountant with expertise in helping owner-managed businesses.


See how dns can help
you today.

Do you need bookkeeping help from a friendly, no-nonsense team or want an online
solution to your bookkeeping needs? Give us a call today on 03300 886 686 to
speak to our advisors, we'll find the right solution to all your bookkeeping and accountancy needs.