A person who is disabled is entitled to get exemption on road tax called as Disabled road tax. In other words, Disabled person doesn’t have to pay vehicle tax but he needs to apply for vehicle tax exemption to get free from road tax. Before applying for vehicle tax exemption, the vehicle must be registered in disabled person’s name or their nominated driver’s name. Vehicle should only be used to fulfill the personal needs of disabled persons. Nominated driver cannot use vehicle for their personal use.
Who Can Apply For Disabled Road Tax For The First Time:
- A person with illness or disability having a registered car
- Someone who uses their vehicle only for the ill or disabled persons.
How To Apply For Diabled Road Tax For The First Time
The process is quite different from its renewal, if you are applying for free road tax for the very first time. You have to renew this tax every year.
New VehiclesIf you are applying for free road tax for the first time, you need to submit the certificate of entitlement -
- Disability living allowance (DLA)
- Armed forces independence payment (AFIP)
- Personal independence payment (PIP)
- War pensioners mobility supplement (WPMS)
You need to submit one of the certificates mentioned above to the dealership to claim free road tax. Vehicles having registration of Northern Ireland (NI) also need a valid insurance certificate from the day the tax starts.
If you are having a used vehicle and you are applying first time for free road tax, you need to change the class of vehicle tax at a post office branch near you dealing with vehicle tax.You need to take the following documents with you –
- Vehicle registration certificate (V5C) or V5C/2 (new keeper’s details form) and a filled application for a vehicle registration certificate (V62). Vehicle registration certificate (V5C) has a 11 digit reference number issued after registering the vehicle whereas V5C/2 has a 12 digit reference number.
- Entitlement certificate to DCA, PIP, AFIP or WPMS. Kindly write the vehicle registration number in the top right hand corner.
- In case, vehicle is registered with Northern Ireland address, the owner of the vehicle needs certificate of insurance or a cover note (Only downloaded or faxed copies are acceptable) and it is valid from the day the tax starts.
- An original MOT or GUT Certificate.
How To Renew Disabled Road Tax?
If you are a disabled person and your tax class of the vehicle is shown as “disabled”, you can use reminder to get “Vehicle tax” or statutory off road notification (SORN) or V5C in the following ways –
Blue Badge Scheme
This scheme is applicable to provide parking benefits for disabled persons with severe walking difficulties who travel as drivers or as passengers.
Using Vehicle In Disabled Tax Class
In case of disabled tax class, a disabled person or someone who only use their vehicle to help disabled persons are eligible for free road tax. For ex- To go shopping for disabled person or to get prescription.
If Exemption No Longer Applies
If the disabled person is no more entitled for free disabled road tax, you need to tax the vehicle in the appropriate class. This can be done at a post office dealing with road tax near your house with the following documents –
When To Get A Replacement Certificate Of Entitlement To DLA, PIP Or AFIPA replacement certificate is needed in two cases – You can get replacement certificate by the following ways –
Any questions? Schedule a call with one of our experts.