The Marriage Allowance - Are you Eligible?

Are you eligible for the Marriage Allowance claim? If you’re married and not making the most of the tax efficiency of this scheme then it’s certainly something to consider.

The Marriage Allowance - Are you Eligible?

So what is the Marriage Allowance? It’s a great opportunity, and one not to be missed - letting you transfer £1,260 of your Personal Allowance to your husband, wife or civil partner if they earn more than you - reducing their tax by up to £252 in the tax year.

If you’re a higher income earner, you may be able to claim more than £1000 for the previous 4 years.

But how do you know if you’re eligible? Let’s take a look at the rules.

Are you eligible for the marriage allowance claim?

You can benefit from the Marriage Allowance if all of the following apply to you:

  • You’re married or in a civil partnership.
  • You don’t pay Income Tax, or your income is below your Personal Allowance. (usually £12,570)
  • Your partner or spouse pays Income Tax at the basic rate.

If you’re cohabiting but not married, you won’t be eligible to claim for the marriage allowance. However, you are still eligible if you or your partner are currently receiving a pension, or live abroad.

Once you’ve applied and it’s been confirmed you’re eligible, you won’t need to reapply in following years - the personal allowance will transfer automatically until your circumstances change in a way that makes you no longer eligible - for example if you divorce, or your partner or spouse dies.

The allowance would also be cancelled should you move into an income tax threshold that requires you to pay tax.

Backdating your claim

Another thing many people don’t realise is that it’s possible to backdate your Marriage Allowance claim.

The claim can be successfully backdated to include any tax year since 5th April 2019 that you were eligible for Marriage Allowance. Your partner’s tax bill will be reduced according to the Personal Allowance rate that was in place in the years you’re claiming for.

If your partner is deceased, and has died since 5th April 2019 you can still claim. To do this, you’ll need to call the Income Tax helpline. However, if your partner was the lower earner in your partnership, the person responsible for managing their tax affairs would need to phone.

If you’re putting in a backdated claim you will receive a payout for this, via a cheque or bank transfer, and usually within two weeks if you apply online.

How do I apply?

You can apply online through the appropriate page on the HMRC site. It’s a very simple process, and as long as you have the documentation to hand it shouldn’t take long.

You’ll need both your National Insurance (NI) numbers and something that proves your identity - like a P60, a payslips less than three months old, or your passport.

You can also apply through HMRC’s self-assessment portal if you’re registered as self-employed and fill out tax returns.

If you’d like expert advice on this or any other matters relating to tax then please do get in touch with us at dns accountants for a free consultation!

Speak with an expert

Any questions? Schedule a call with one of our experts.

About the author
Blog Author

Sumit Agarwal
Sumit Agarwal (ACMA ACA India), the Managing partner of dns accountants is a highly respected accountant with expertise in helping owner-managed businesses.

  • Book a free consultation
Receive accounting news and updates in your inbox

About the author
Blog Author

Sumit Agarwal
Sumit Agarwal (ACMA ACA India), the Managing partner of dns accountants is a highly respected accountant with expertise in helping owner-managed businesses.


See how dns can help
you today.

Save tax
Save tax

Our experts will work with you to reduce your corporation, personal or any other tax liability, all within the rules of the UK tax legislations. We’ll ensure you’re claiming all allowances and expense claims that you would be elegible for.

Reduce your admin
Reduce your admin

We give free software to all of our clients. You’ll be able to raise sales invoices, snap pictures of receipts and be MTD compliant with ease. You can even manage your business anywhere there’s an internet connection, thanks to our mobile app!

Grow your business
Grow your business

Successful business owners are those that are on top of their numbers. Businesses are driven by the numbers behind them. If you’re not reviewing your profit & loss or balance sheet regularly, how would you know how your business has performed and how would you make proper business decisions? We can help you make sense of your numbers.

Free Business Software!

Limited time only!

Free Business Software

Say Goodbye to Bookkeeping Hassles: Nomi offers Free Receipt Processing and big savings!

  • Built in payment solutions.
  • Track profitability, debtors and creditors
  • Snap pics of receipts with the mobile app
  • Free Receipt Processing
  • Hasslefree Bookkeeping
  • Cost Reduction
Get Started
Close nomi