How to apply for HMRC
Self Assessment

HMRC Self Assessment Tax Return Login

The taxpayer can sign into their HMRC self assessment online account to send the tax return of HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC). To login into HMRC self assessment account, taxpayers can use their user ID and password which was created while registering for HMRC self assessment online account or when the HMRC online self assessment account was set up.

How to apply for HMRC Self Assessment Online?

Who Can’t Use the HMRC Self Assessment Online Login Service

A separate form needs to be downloaded or a tax return software needs to be bought for a partnership, a trust and estate, and if an individual get income from a trust, if the individual is a Lloyd’s underwriter, a religious minister or need to fill in the non-residence part of the return.

HMRC Self Assessment Login Online

It is imperative to file a tax return with HMRC even if an individual does not owe anything to the HMRC. For each HMRC self assessment tax return deadline missed, there are a number of penalties imposed on the self assessment tax return.

Penalties are given for late payment of tax, filing tax returns on late and late notification of accountability to pay tax

Late filing penalties are given below:-

  1. Even without owing any tax you would be charged a penalty.
  2. You are liable to pay an amount of £100 which is non-refundable (even if no tax is owing), in below cases:

For paper returns - Once you miss the filing dates of 31 October following the end of the tax year

For online submission - If you miss the filing date of 31 January next following

Eg. tax returns for the year to 5 April 2019, should be filed on paper by 31 October 2019, or on-line by 31 January 2020

Penalties for the below cases:

  • For 3 months late: you would be charged a daily penalty of £10 per day, up to a maximum of £900
  • For 6 months late: you would be charged £300 (or 5% of the tax owing if this is greater) as penalty
  • For 12 months late: you will be charged another £300 (or 5% of the tax owing if this is greater). In exceptional situations a higher penalty of up to 100% of the tax due is possible

DNS Accountants can take care of everything, starting from completing the tax returns to computing the tax amount that is due for refund to interacting with HMRC on the behalf of the client. We are professional accountants and we will be in a better position to help individuals get a clear understanding of self assessment tax returns and certain tips and advice.

HMRC Self Assessment Helpline

For individuals who might face difficult in login into the online helpdesk of HMRC can request for a fresh user ID or even raise a request for a fresh password. It might happen sometimes that both the user ID and password are not working or get lost. In such circumstances, users can login into GOV.UK Verify and apply for a new user ID or password which will be sent to the users by postal service. The postal service might take between 10 working days to 21 working days depending on the location of the user.

Once HMRC wants to contact you for anything confidential they’ll response only by phone or post.


Call HRMC for assistance on Self Assessment.

While calling HMRC you should keep few documents with you for verification process, like your National Insurance number and Self Assessment Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR).

  • Telephone: 0300 200 3310
  • Textphone: 0300 200 3319
  • Outside UK: +44 161 931 9070
  • Opening times:
  • Monday to Friday: 8am to 8pm
  • Saturday: 8am to 4pm
  • Closed on Sundays

Once you face any problem in filing self assessment tax return online, or if you’ve lost your online service user name or password you should contact Self Assessment online services.


For any queries (not complaints) related to Self Assessment you may write to HMRC at the below address:

While writing to the below address you don’t need to include a street name, city name or PO Box

Courier services need to use a separate address.

Self Assessment

HM Revenue and Customs


United Kingdom

HMRC Self Assessment helpline will guide users with issues such as:

  • Trouble logging into or registration for an online service
  • Issue with submitting the forms
  • Manage handle error messages on the online account or on HMRC filing forms
  • Downloading the HMRC tools / software and using them

During the call, for verification, the user must have their HMRC Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) number with them.

HMRC Self Assessment helpline will guide users with issues such as:

  • Trouble logging into or registration for an online service
  • Issue with submitting the forms
  • Manage handle error messages on the online account or on HMRC filing forms
  • Downloading the HMRC tools / software and using them

During the call, for verification, the user must have their HMRC Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) number with them

HMRC Self Assessment Forms

A self assessment tax return shows the HMRC a comprehensible picture of an individual’s finances. Few of the important HMRC Self Assessment Forms are:

  • Form P45 – for individuals who discontinue their employment with an employer during a tax year
  • Form P60 – this form shows that amount of tax that has been paid
  • Form P11D – for “benefits in kind” or additional perks such as firm vehicle / car
  • Reports of any tax award schemes or being without a job payments

Find out more Information about Form P45, Form P60 & Form P11D

In addition to the above, certain other things that need to be tracked comprise of extra income such as:

  • Tip amount that is untaxed
  • Payment received as incentives
  • Reimbursements i.e. meal vouchers, travel bills etc.

It’s important to note that it is not only the self-employed individuals that need to file a self assessment tax return. Also, it is required for individuals claiming a refund on tax for everyday expenditure amounting to over £2,500.

About Video
About Video

HMRC Online Self Assessment

Self Assessment is a system used by HMRC for collecting income tax in the United Kingdom. The tax amount payable is more often than not subtracted automatically from the wage amount. Individuals and businesses with other income have to report it in a self assessment tax return. It is not just the self-employed who need to be bothered about self assessment tax returns. Rather, a self assessment tax return needs to be submitted if:

  • An individual gets £2,500 or more as untaxed income e.g. income from property rental or save instruments
  • An individual’s savings or investment income is £10,000 or more before tax
  • An individual made profits from selling shares, or a home and is required to pay Capital Gains Tax
  • An individual is a nominated business partner
  • An individual has income from abroad and is required to pay tax on foreign income
  • An individual who lives abroad and has a UK income
  • An individual received dividends from shares
  • An individual receives a P800 from HMRC stating that enough tax wasn’t paid the previous year

Individuals who are self employed must keep few things such as business records and transaction details up-to-date and in order so that it is easy for computation and to update documents when the time comes. Individuals also need to be up-to-date on Payments on Account for each year which also includes paying advance tax i.e. for 6 months on 31st January and 31st July for each financial year. DNS Accountants can help self employed plan their savings better and make sure that no additional tax is paid.

How to Pay your Self Assessment Tax Bill in Tax Return Deadlines

For any new business, a self employed individual must register with the HMRC, in advance, before they start trading. Key self assessment deadlines include:

  • 31st January – By 31st January, the self employed must file their online tax returns for the prior year and pay the tax amount due, if any. In addition to this, self employed need to make the first “payment on account” for the following year
  • 5th April – The tax year ends on 5th April. Post this date, the HMRC will get in touch with self employed for their Self Assessment tax return
  • 31st July – Important for “payments on account”
  • 31st October – For submitting paper tax returns, 31st October is the deadline

Any deadline missed, will impose penalties. The HMRC expected all owner-managed-businesses to file their tax returns on time and provide accurate details of the earnings.

As mentioned earlier, businesses might need to register for Value added tax separately. Self employed can read more about self assessment tax returns and tax codes on our DNS Accountants website.

Do I need to complete a Tax Return?

If you as a taxpayer are taxed at source (the money you get is already taxed), you need not to complete a self assessment tax return. Most of the salaried people in UK fall under this category, so they do not require completing a self assessment return.

In case you get income income that has not been taxed already, or not taxed at the correct rate, and on which tax is due, are required to inform HM Revenue & Customs about the income within six months of the end of the tax year in which the income is received.

Need help with Tax Return?

Working with DNS Accountants is easy and with our DNS Accountants self assessment tax returns; our accountants take responsibility of all the paperwork. All the deadlines are met and no additional cost is paid as penalties. The taxation system is ever changing and businesses might not to be aware of the updated rules and guidelines. To avoid such circumstances it is imperative to appoint taxation planners such as DNS Accountants.

DNS Accountants are the best for HMRC self assessment as:

  • Our services are delivered at a FIXED price
  • We are transparent and straight-forward in our dealing
  • In-house accounting and tax planning software – Nomisma Solution
  • Available all the time to guide our clients
Book a Free Consultation Now
  • Book a free consultation

    Share your details in the form below and one of our friendly experts will be in your touch to give you a free consultation


Get in Touch

Get the best advice on tax savings, accounting services, payroll, self assessment, VAT and more, whether you want to call us directly, request a call back or chat online with our experts, rest assured that we will always give you the best advice.If you have any questions, or would like to speak to us in person, please do get in touch. We're here to help.

Head Office:

DNS Accountants
DNS House, 382 Kenton Road,
Harrow, Middlesex, HA3 8DP

Contact Number:

0333 060 2437

Award winning experts
trusted by many

We're proud of our clients and their success. Find out more about them and
the help and support we provide.