Dementia is a set of symptoms which include memory loss, difficulty in problem solving, over thinking which leads to change in behavior. For ex – Change in temperament or mood of a person and it can affect people in many ways.
Dementia is such a disease which cannot be cured or completely treated. Medical treatments on NHS are available free for cancer and heart patients. Therefore, peoples suffering from dementia spends huge amount on social care as there is no option for free NHS treatment. Due to the impact of this disease, patients find difficulty in carrying out day to day tasks such as eating, washing or using the washroom etc. Peoples suffering from dementia needs one to one support in almost every work performed by them on daily basis.
Peoples suffering from dementia and having assets of £23250 including their house often pay thousands of pounds for their care. Currently many families are facing immense pressure in paying their dementia bills. Peoples suffering from dementia bound to pay for social care received by them. Many persons sell their houses to pay the social care cost as well as many of them become bankrupt while paying it. Alzheimer’s society wants to end this tax and trying hard from last 9 years so that it becomes available for free on NHS just like cancer & heart diseases.
Peoples suffering from dementia should not bear the full responsibility for saving & paying care cost but government put the burden of the cost on the shoulders of the patients. The cost of care depends upon –
- Your location
- The type of care you are receiving
- The care home or accommodation provider you have chosen
Dementia cost also depends upon sort of care you need, hours of work you need, what time of day & week comfortable.
Weekend may cost you more and bank holiday can cost double the amount. You can also combine formal home care support with informal support from relatives & friends depending upon your circumstances.
Cost Of Dementia Care
The cost of dementia is currently £26 billion per month in UK which works out to be average annual cost of £32,250 per person suffering with dementia. 2/3rd of this cost is currently paid by the peoples suffering from dementia and their families, either paying for private social care or unpaid care (£11.6 billion). In comparison to dementia, NHS provides free treatment on cancer & heart diseases.
The standard cost of home care for a person suffering from dementia can be between £600 -£1200 per week whereas good quality dementia home care cost at minimum £20 per hour. Peoples suffering from dementia and their family are paying these costs from years.
As per Alzheimer’s society, Dementia care cost £100,000 on an average for a single person. Peoples suffering from worse conditions of dementia even paying to home care service providers who do not provide good quality care. Many peoples living in UK spends their entire earnings on care for themselves whereas some peoples receive money from their family or relation as a support.
Awareness In Public
As per voting done by Alzheimer’s society, it is found that people are more aware & worried about the challenges they are facing in the current care system.
- Social care is one of the most important issue peoples in UK are facing as voted by peoples above other important factors such as education, crime, welfare benefits, environment, pensions etc.
- As per voting, 63% of the peoples told us that they are worried about their savings as their almost money is spent on home care activities and they are having nothing in their hands to pass on to their children’s.
- As per voting, 72% of peoples are feeling worried and angry due to the chances of losing their home as they have to pay for huge care cost, if this disease develops in their families in future.
- As per voting, 81% of peoples are feeling worried, angry or frightened due to the non-addressing of social care issue by the UK government which is rising day by day in UK.
How DNS Helps?
DNS is one of the leading UK firm with more than 10 years of experience in providing financial advices to the clients. It is good for you to take financial advice from DNS experts about funding long term care unless you have to face a huge cost of home care for Dementia. Kindly call our DNS experts at 03300886686 or you can also e-mail us at email@example.com