Do I need to complete a Self-Assessment Tax Return?

In this article we look at whether you need to register and file for self assessment tax return.

In a recent data published by HMRC around 47 million people have taxable income in the UK, out of which 31 million pay income tax as rest of the 16 million have income below the personal allowance threshold. Majority of these people pay their income tax through PAYE and are not required to submit a tax return. This is because the employer deducts the taxes from wages payment. Therefore, you will only be required to submit a self assessment tax return, if any of the following applies to you:

  • You are self-employed working as a sole trader or partnership with income of more than £1,000.
  • You receive rental income from a property of greater than £2,500
  • You are a non-resident landlord.
  • You receive untaxed income greater than £2,500, for example from tips or commission
  • You have untaxed income that cannot be collected via your PAYE coding notice in a later year.
  • You are an employee who wishes to claim expenses of more than £2,500, not reimbursed by your employer.
  • Your income from interest or investments is £10,000 or above before tax and expenses.
  • You need to settle Capital Gains Tax (CGT) on profits from selling things like shares or giving away personal assets of more than £6,000 or a CGT on sale of property.
  • You’re a director of a company with income that is not taxed under PAYE
  • You or your partner’s pay was over £50,000 and you’re getting Child Benefit
  • You have income from abroad you need to pay tax on, or you live abroad but have an income in the UK. The rules are slightly complex if you are non-domiciled in the UK and earn foreign income. Please click here for more details.
  • Your Employment income is above £100,000.
  • If you earned over £46,351 in the 2018/19 tax year (£50,001 for 2019/20) and make pension contributions you may have to file a Self Assessment to claim back the extra tax relief you’re owed.
  • You are a member of a trust or registered pension scheme
  • Your State Pension was above your personal allowance and it was your solitary source of income

This is not an exhaustive list and the complete list of who needs to file a Self Assessment is available on the website – the website also has an online tool that will tell you if you need to file a return.

Do I need to complete a Self-Assessment Tax Return?

Every year HMRC will send a notice to file tax return – to everyone in their Self Assessment system in April / May month . If you receive a tax return, or a notice to file on-line, you ought to finish a return and submit it to HMRC. This maybe the case even if you're an employee and all your income are taxed under PAYE. There is some exception to this rule which is given below.

Also Read: Self Assessment Tax Returns Service

Requesting HMRC to pull back a tax return

If you get the notice to file the Tax Return and you do not qualify above criteria explained and you do not owe any tax liability, you can call HMRC on 0300 200 3310 and request for the tax return to be withdrawn. If HMRC agrees with your reasoning, then they will tell you in writing that you don’t need to file a return.

The request for pulling back the return has to made within two years from the end of the tax year for which the return is due. In exceptional circumstances, where you have been a low income earner and require the tax returns to be pulled back for a few years, please speak to our experts.

The request for the returns to be pulled back can be made even after late filing penalties have been incurred. If HMRC agrees, you will not need to submit the tax return and any penalties incurred for missing the tax return filing deadline can be waived off. HMRC will not pull back a return if you have been self-employed at any time during the tax year – regardless of whether it was only for a short period and there is no tax owed.

What is a Self Assessment?

You can find more information on Self Assessment in the self-employment section who needs to complete a Self Assessment tax return on GOV.UK.

For more details, please speak with our advisors.

Also Read: How to apply Self Assessment Tax Returns online?

Also Read: Online HMRC Self Assessment Tax Return Forms

Share this post

Contact us now! Reach our expert accountants for any of your accounting related queries

Complete the form below and we will get in contact as soon as possible
0333 060 3321
We're Multi-Award Winning...
...But We'd Rather have your Vote.
Accredited by...
  • Professional Passport Umbrella
  • Professional Passport Accountancy
  • Chartered Institute of Management Accountants
  • Freelancer & Contractor Services Association
  • IPSE