What insurance do I need working offshore?

Offshore workers are at a higher risk of accidents and illness than those working on land. As a result, it’s important to make sure you have the right insurance in place to protect yourself and your family. There are a few different types of insurance that offshore workers should consider, including life insurance, critical illness cover, income protection, and travel insurance.

In this blog, we’ll take a closer look at each of these types of insurance and what they can do for you. We’ll also answer some common questions about insurance for offshore workers, such as whether life insurance will pay out if you die while working offshore and whether critical illness cover will pay out if you get sick while working offshore.

What insurance do I need working offshore?

Offshore workers & life insurance

If you’re planning on working offshore, life insurance is an important consideration. This policy will provide financial protection for your loved ones in the event of your death. When selecting a policy, make sure to choose one with a high enough death benefit to cover your loved ones’ needs.

Additionally, add an accident rider to your policy for added protection. Keep in mind that life insurance doesn’t just cover you and your loved ones - it can also cover your company’s assets and liabilities. So, if something were to happen and your company was unable to pay its debts, life insurance would cover the shortfall. So, whether you’re a worker offshore or managing an offshore company, life insurance is an essential type of coverage you should consider.

Offshore workers & critical illness cover

Offshore workers are at a higher risk of developing critical illness due to the nature of their work. Many insurance companies have policies specifically designed for offshore workers, and these policies can provide financial support if you’re unable to work due to an illness or injury. It’s important to consider a few things when selecting an offshore worker’s critical illness policy, such as the coverage amount and exclusions. For example, does the policy cover you and your spouse, or just you? And what type of illness or injury are you covered for? Is it just medical expenses, or does it include income protection too? There are a variety of critical illness policies to choose from, so it’s important to do your research and find one that meets your specific needs.

  • Public Liability

    It provides cover for disputes with third parties that may lead to injury. As an offshore worker, you can purchase an individual plan for public liability. The policy has significant coverage that will help the offshore workers file the claims instantly. However, the legal professionals will need to provide proper assistance regarding the same.

  • Employers Liability

    The policyholder will be liable and have legal responsibilities for any injury or death of any employee. The energy sector contractors will however need to consider this policy or it will not be applicable for them to function offshore.

  • Contractor Sickness Cover

    The contractor Sickness Cover is specially meant for contractors. If any policyholder has any medical emergency, the sickness cover will provide a monthly benefit. Therefore, the policyholder will be able to get a signoff from work for a month in the event of sickness and injury. The limited company and sole traders however do not have that benefit especially do not have the safety in payment especially for events of sickness.

Offshore workers & income protection

Offshore workers are a valuable asset to any business. But like any asset, they need protection. That’s where income protection comes in. This insurance covers you if you’re unable to work due to an injury or illness. In some cases, offshore workers may not be eligible for government benefits, so income protection can be a life-saver. Make sure you’re fully covered by shopping around and comparing different income protection policies. Doing so will give you peace of mind in knowing that you’re fully covered in the event of an unfortunate situation.

Offshore workers & travel insurance

Offshore workers are at a higher risk for injuries and accidents. That’s why it is important to have travel insurance that will cover the costs of medical treatment and evacuation if necessary. Make sure to read the policy carefully to see what is covered and what is not. Some employers will provide offshore workers with insurance, but it is always best to have your own policy as well.

Does life insurance payout for offshore workers?

Offshore workers need to be aware of life insurance policies that cover them while they are working offshore. Most policies will cover offshore workers, provided they meet the policy’s other requirements. For example, most life insurance policies require offshore workers to have a physical before they will issue a policy. Furthermore, offshore workers typically need to purchase additional coverage for their work activities, such as medical insurance and worker’s compensation. Make sure you’re fully protected and read your policy carefully before signing up.

Will critical illness cover payout to offshore workers?

Offshore workers need to be aware of the important insurance they need to have in place in order to protect themselves and their families in case of an emergency. One key insurance type that offshore workers should consider is critical illness cover. This will pay out a lump sum if you’re diagnosed with a critical illness while working offshore. Make sure you understand the terms and conditions of your policy before signing up for coverage. In addition to critical illness cover, offshore workers may also want to consider life insurance, health insurance, and travel insurance. By having the right insurance in place, offshore workers can feel confident that they and their loved ones are taken care of in case of an unfortunate event.


If you work offshore, it is essential that you have the right insurance in place to protect yourself and your family. There are a number of different types of insurance that you should consider, including life insurance, critical illness cover, income protection, and travel insurance. Make sure to speak to an expert to ensure that you are getting the right cover for your needs.

Book a Free Consultation

* Indicates a required field

Get in Touch

Get the best advice on tax savings, accounting services, payroll, self assessment, VAT and more, whether you want to call us directly, request a call back or chat online with our experts, rest assured that we will always give you the best advice.If you have any questions, or would like to speak to us in person, please do get in touch. We're here to help.

Head Office:

dns accountants
DNS House, 382 Kenton Road,
Harrow, Middlesex, HA3 8DP

Contact Number:

0333 060 2437

Award winning experts
trusted by many

We're proud of our clients and their success. Find out more about them and
the help and support we provide.