Tax-free allowances on property and trading income

There are a few tax-free allowances that property and trading income holders can take advantage of. By understanding the discrepancies and taking the right steps, you can ensure that you’re making the most of your tax allowance.

Tax-free allowances on property and trading income

Trading allowance

Tax-free allowances are an essential part of your tax planning strategy. They can help you reduce your taxable income and increase your savings. Tax-free allowances can also be valuable when valuing property and trading income. For example, if you have a property worth more than the FMMV, you may be able to claim a trading allowance on the property’s fair market value (FMMV). This allowance can reduce your taxable income and increase your savings. So, don’t wait - get started on your tax planning strategy today by consulting a tax professional.

Property allowance

Tax-free allowances on the property and trading income are a great way to boost your income this year. These allowances are available to individuals in the 10% tax bracket or below. When calculating your taxable income, include your property and trading income from 2013 (or earlier years). Understand these allowances so you can claim them correctly on your taxes. Remember that these allowances are limited, so make the most of them.

When can you not use the allowances?

A property or trading income allowance can reduce your tax liability, but consult a professional for advice. The application process can be time-consuming, so start early. If you are not resident in the UK, your earnings may be subject to tax. Ensure you are familiar with the tax-free allowance rules.

Benefits and credits

It’s time to get your tax-free allowances sorted. There are many benefits to taking advantage of tax-free allowances on the property and trading income. Keep track of your total annual allowance and use this information when filing your taxes next year. However, it’s essential to understand the different types of allowances to take full advantage of them. This includes the business property allowance and the trading income allowance. When these allowances are combined, they can reduce your taxable income by a significant amount - so it’s worth considering them.


You might be eligible for tax-free allowances on your property and trading income if you’re self-employed. This can reduce your overall taxable income, making tax-paying easier. You’ll need to submit an application form and provide documentation to support your claim to claim this tax-free allowance. Ensure you have all the necessary documents before filing, as the process can be time-consuming. However, once you’re done, you’ll have a clearer picture of your income and tax liabilities, and you’ll be one step closer to a tax-free year.

What does this mean for individuals?

Individuals who own property or receive trading income must be aware of tax-free allowances. This means that the value of these assets and income is not taxable. Your taxable income and marital status determine this allowance. You will still need to include this information in your yearly financial statement if you have no taxable income. Make sure you report this information on your tax return each year, so you have a complete picture of your financial situation.

Exceptions to the rule

It’s that time of year again- the tax-free allowances on property and trading income are set to expire at the end of 2015. If you’re still unsure of what you’re entitled to. The sooner you know, the sooner you can start planning your tax return. There are a few exceptions to the rule, but make sure you understand them all, so you don’t have to pay additional taxes in 2016. Some of the most common exemptions are rental income, capital gains, interest, dividends, etc. If you’re unsure whether you’re entitled to any tax-free allowances, speak to a tax professional. They can help you determine your eligibility and ensure that you pay the amount of tax you should have paid all year long.

Do I need to submit a self assessment tax return to claim it?

Tax-free allowance on property and trading income can help reduce your taxable income and help you save tax. If you’re in the UK, you might be eligible to claim tax-free allowances on the property and trading income. However, to find out if you’re eligible, you’ll need to look at your previous year’s tax return. If everything looks correct, don’t submit self assessment tax return - it’ll only cause delays. So, if you’re wondering whether or not you should claim allowances, start by checking if you’re eligible and then take the appropriate steps. It’s well worth the effort and can help you save tax in the long run.

Tax guides

Tax-free allowances on property and trading income can help reduce your tax liability. Make full use of these tax breaks by researching the allowance that applies to you and using all the available tax-free allowances to your advantage. Property owners should be aware of their property allowance, which can reduce your taxable income on your property holdings. If you’re in the business of trading goods or services, be sure to research the allowance that applies to you and take full advantage of it. By doing this, you can minimise your tax burden and pay less tax overall.


You may be entitled to tax-free allowances on your income as an individual who engages in trading or property activities. It provides an overview of the tax-free allowances available to individuals and self-employed people and the prerequisites for claiming them. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact our team for more help.

  • Book a free consultation

    Share your details in the form below and one of our friendly experts will be in your touch to give you a free consultation

    * Indicates a required field

Get in Touch

Get the best advice on tax savings, accounting services, payroll, self assessment, VAT and more, whether you want to call us directly, request a call back or chat online with our experts, rest assured that we will always give you the best advice.If you have any questions, or would like to speak to us in person, please do get in touch. We're here to help.

Head Office:

dns accountants
DNS House, 382 Kenton Road,
Harrow, Middlesex, HA3 8DP

Contact Number:

0333 060 2437

Award winning experts
trusted by many

We're proud of our clients and their success. Find out more about them and
the help and support we provide.