What is Vehicle V5C Log book?

A V5C, or vehicle logbook, is the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) document that provides a proof regarding the registered keeper of a vehicle.

A logbook is referred to as a V5C and is a document issued by the DVLA. V5C is usually treated as proof of ownership and following a vehicle being transferred, scrapped or modified, such as a new engine, chassis or other factors that may alter the taxation class, the form needs to be returned to the DVLA, who will then issue a new document with the amended details.

In 2001, the V5C’s were redesigned to comply with the 2001/127/European Commission (EC) directive. In 2011-12, a program was launched to replace the previous blue forms with a new style red form. This was done as a result of ‘robbery of a number of blank V5C’s’ and it is despite the fact that the theft took place in 2007-08 along with the loss of over 2.0 million forms being reported in 2008.

"The V5C (Vehicle Log book) is a crucial document as it defines who the vehicle belongs to. Therefore, it is very important that keep the V5C log-book in a safe place so that if a person is considering selling the vehicle he / she will be able to furnish proof of the ownership. An individual can apply for a new V5C (Vehicle Log book) by post or over the phone and the cost to get a new V5C will be £25.0.  Individuals can also apply by post by means of filling in a V62 form, or over the phone if none of the basic details have changed. In case, when the vehicle was bought and an individual never received the V5C, he / she will not have to pay the £25.0 fee."

Registering a Brand New Vehicle

When a new vehicle is bought from a dealer, the dealer will usually register the vehicle and tax it too. However, if an individual has not bought a new vehicle from a car dealer, then he / she will have to register and tax the vehicle themselves. All vehicles registered will get a unique registration number and later, when the DVLA has the details of the registered keeper and the vehicle, they will issue a V5C as a confirmation for the registration for the vehicle. The V5C is usually sent within 3 weeks and if an individual does not received the V5C after 3 weeks; they should contact the DVLA customer service team.

Lost my V5C Logbook

Getting a lost vehicle log book (V5C)

A vehicle owner will need to get a log-book (V5C) if the original has got stolen, lost, or damaged or even if it wasn’t received with the new vehicle. There are two ways of applying for a log-book:

Apply by phone

A registered keeper can apply by phone if log-book goes missing or is damaged. The person will have to pay £25.0 by debit or credit card.It is not possible to apply by phone if the name, vehicle details or address has changed. In such a scenario, an individual will have to apply by post instead. It can take upto 5 days to get a replacement log-book.

Apply by post for a replacement

An individual can download and fill in an application for a log book (V62). Once the application is filled, it has to be sent to DVLA with a cheque or postal order of £25.0 made payable to ‘DVLA, Swansea’. The address is as follows: DVLA Swansea SA99 1DD

It can take upto 6 weeks in order to get a replacement log-book by post.

Change the address or name on the vehicle log-book (V5C)

An individual must update the vehicle log-book (V5C) if the address or name has been changed. It’s usually free to update it. However, an individual can be fined up to £1,000.0 if he / she does not inform DVLA about the address change. It is imperative to inform DVLA regarding the address change, as vehicle tax reminder letter (V11) and any vehicle tax refunds will be sent to a wrong address if the log-book is not updated.

When you’ll move to an address outside of the UK

Once you take a car overseas with you, you should take the log book too.

Use the log book for registering the car in the country you’re going to move.

If you’ve changed your name

Write your full name (without giving initials or joint names) in:

Section 3 if you have a new style log book (with multi-coloured numbered blocks on the front cover)

section 6 if you have the older style log book

Do not tick the ‘new keeper’ box on the older style form.

You should also add a distinct note to mention that you’ve changed your name.

If the car’s registered keeper is a business, you should add a proof of its name change (like a certificate of incorporation from Companies House).

If you’ve changed your name and address

You must carry a proof for your changed name (a deep poll can be used for the same) once you’re changing your name and address at the same time.

You’re not required to do this once your name has changed due to getting married or divorced.

For getting new log book you might have to wait for 6 weeks

What needs to be done

  1. Write the new address or name in section 6 of the log-book (an individual cannot give joint names or even a PO Box address). Please keep in mind not to tick the ‘new keeper’ box
  2. If an individual is changing the name, include a note to say that the name is being changed
  3. Send the entire log-book to DVLA at the following address: DVLA Swansea SA99 1BA

It might take upto 6 weeks to get a new log book

Important Guidelines

New vehicles

A dealer will typically register a brand new vehicle and if the dealer doesn’t do it, the buyer of the vehicle can register it themselves.

Used vehicles

The way a used vehicle is registered entirely depends on whether the vehicle has a V5C registration certificate (log-book).

If the vehicle has a registration certificate (V5C)

The seller must:

  • complete section 6 of the V5C
  • sign the declaration in section 8
  • fill in section 10 and give it to the buyer of the vehicle
  • send the V5C to DVLA

DVLA aims to send out a new V5C to the purchaser within 2 – 4 weeks of getting the old V5C from the seller. If the purchaser does not get it within 4 weeks:

  • he should complete form V62 – ‘Application for a vehicle registration certificate’ and send it to DVLA with the V5C/2 received from the seller; in case the purchaser does not send V5C/2, he / she will have to pay a fee

If the vehicle doesn’t have a registration certificate

DVLA advises not to purchase a vehicle that doesn’t have a registration certificate (V5C). An individual can register the vehicle in his / her name by using form V62.

FAQs Related to V5C Logbook:

I didn’t get a log book for my new vehicle, what should I do?

If you have bought a new vehicle and didn’t get a V5C logbook, you need to follow the below steps:

1. Download and fill in an application for a log book (V62).

2. Send the dully filledform to DVLA with the green ‘new keeper’s details’ slip (V5C/2) you received when you bought the new vehicle. You don’t have to pay a fee.

In case you are not able to provide the green ‘new keeper’s details’ slip, you will require paying £25. Include a cheque or postal order made payable to ‘DVLA, Swansea’.



SA99 1DD

It can take up to 6 weeks to get the replacement log book by post.

I’ve lost my V5C log book and need to change my address

1. Download and fill in an application for a log book (V62).

2. Send it to DVLA with a cheque or postal order for £25 made payable to ‘DVLA, Swansea’.



SA99 1BA

I had applied for V5C log book but it didn’t arrive, what should I do?

If there has been more than 6 weeks since you have applied for a new or replacement of lost V5C logbook, you should contact

Contact DVLA

Related Posts

Lost Driving Licence UK

DNS Associates Accountancy Awards

Vouched For DNS Associaes

Other Locations

Other Offices

HMRC Offices

Share this post

Add Your Comments